Monday, October 01, 2007

Life on TV

Sometimes I pretend like my life is an ongoing sitcom & my friends & family are characters on the show. Sometimes I give them different names & stuff just to make it interesting. Sometimes I pretend that strangers I encounter are also characters. Like for instance, there's this old foreign guy who bags my groceries at Publix. His name is Vitaly & he can't speak good english. Like I said, he's old and this means he also moves at a snails pace. He has barely any expression on his face. He's not mean or anything, he just isn't happy or full of expression. He just sort of exists. One day I told my husband that I thought it would be funny to act like Vitaly is something totally different than that. I said it would be funny to describe him to someone & say "Oh, there's this guy named Vitaly & he's like this super cool old dude who bags groceries at Publix". It really got me laughing because he's anything but that. Maybe it's only me but, it gets me laughing every time I go there.
Sometimes I try imagine people I know in place of characters on actual tv shows. For instance, like Seinfeld. I try to think who I know that would be George & who's the equivalent of Kramer. I also try to imagine who I am in these shows. Like am I Laverne or am I Shirley? In most of the shows, I'm never the crazy one or the quirky one. I'm usually more of the mainstream sort of straight person. However, in someone else's sitcom, I probably am the quirky one. Go figure. By the way, I'm Shirley, not Laverne. I think it would be cooler to be Laverne but, I'm too much of a neurotic wuss so, I'll have to settle for Shirley.
I think doing things like this helps get me through life. It helps me see the humor in the world around me & helps me retain my imagination. It also helps me to deal with the jerks & dumbasses in my world.
I also think I've watched too much tv.

No comments: