Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Bullies and Pussies

A childhood bully of mine is dying. I just got the news moments ago. We worked together at the Dairy Queen in Alpharetta. He ruled the grill, I ruled the dish water. I can see why he disliked me; I really did not want to work and was a bit too goofy for an older classmate to tolerate. I had been taking Hapkido classes with his older brother Mark. Mark however was nice to me. David was a big guy, tall and sorta pudgy. He had long stringy dirty blonde hair and was very mysterious in an illegal kind of way.

He eventually got canned from the DQ, when the boss, Doug Sams caught him inhaling the gas off of the top of the whip cream cans. I was not sorry to see him go then, and I don’t know if I am sorry to see him go now. I was, however, was not happy to hear the news. I guess I grew up. It happens. David’s mortality just reminds me of my own.

His liver shut down. He actually drank so much that his liver called it quits and his brain was shut off for eight minutes or so. The docs don’t know if he will recover, and if he does how much brain power he will have…80% or 0%, the brain is not an organ to fuck with.

I am still in disbelief. He drank so much that he shut down major organs. Now that is a Chris Farley or John Belushi type of indulgence. This is not the first time that I have heard of young people keeling over because of drink. Urabadcat told me that she had a friend that died at 34 because of drink. Another friend of mine, C introduced me to a girl that was dead less than a month from the day I met her, from drinking. C told me that she had Hepatitis, and was as yellow as a legal pad, when she finally let go.

You would think that all this death would discourage me from drinking. Hell no. I love to drink. Keeps me sane; Keeps me going into work; Keeps me from jumping off a fucking bridge. I am no different than them, except that I must be in a different league. My doc says my liver enzymes are pretty close to normal. How can that be? I have tried to put Budweiser out of business since I was 18 years old. Maybe my genes have blessed me. I may not be tall, I may not have a 10.5 inch cock, but my liver is still hanging in there.

So David, I don’t think that you even remember me. I don’t think that I even registered on your monitor. I was just one in a number of pussies that crossed in front of your angry eyes. However, I do not want you to die. I will probably pray for you tonight too. John Lennon said that life begins at forty, and although you are probably forty two by now, I have hope that it could begin for you too. I am a late bloomer myself, and I can appreciate how long it takes for some flowers to realize that they are not weeds. Forgive yourself, just think of all the bullying you could do.

No comments: