Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pascagoula Shuffle Chapter #3

Kat rolled over one morning, propped herslf up on one elbow and said,"Hey I need to go home next week to see my grandma and pick up some stuff I left in storage..., ever
been to Pascagoula?...."Well..uh " I said , blinking in the morning light,"No.. not ever ,I mean I've been to Natchez and some other places". "We'll", she said getting up and walking away from the bed, her heart shaped ass stiring primal desires from my sleep numbed brain .Putting on her chinese gown she continued,"I've got to drop the 'Cuda 'off at the paint shop monday, let's take your convertible down to Pascagoula and see the sights".You might remember Kat had a 68' Barracuda that had been in primer for two years, she had scrapped together enough money to have it painted metallic lime green with a gold metalflake racing stripe running from the nose all the over the roof and down the decklid.Vintage sixties drag racer.
And yes she had already been up before me putting on her makeup and the bitter coffee she used to fuel herself.100 octane mixed with a dash of Nitro.
As I stumbled into the kitchen and sat in one of those vintage chromium breakfast chairs, she busied about making us toast and eggs.All the while reeling off a list of things we would do on once we got to Pascagoula."We'll stop and see granmma,then we can go by my mom's house and pickup my photo albums, I was so cute when I was a baby, you'll get a kick out of them"."And my uncle Danny has got a shrimp boat up the river, maybe he'll take us out to the shrimp'in, grounds ,ever been out on the gulf before?"
"Not on a shrimpboat", I said swallowing her strong coffee and trying to keep up with her shotgun monlogue.Looking up in the sudden quiet I saw her looking back at me smiling.."we're gonna have a great time, you know".....