Friday, January 14, 2005

A Rainy Night In Georgia

Drenched. Just like in the movies. I was walking back to my car after a tiring and very wet evening at GSU. My huge umbrella (I don't mean to boast) was being pulled from me by the hand of God and was on the brink of collapsing comically upward. The wind was blowing the rain in sideways and although my umbrella did a decent job of keeping the majority of the water off of me, the humidity permeated my clothes and I looked like the proverbial drowned rat. I was walking along the sidewalk and was about half the distance to my car, when a speeding car raced up Decatur Street and unleashed a tidal wave on the person walking in front of me. I had seen that sort of thing in the movies but never in real life. Before I could even complete the thought, "Whew I am glad that was not me", I found myself hanging ten along with my fellow surfing buddy on Decatur Street. All of the words were knocked out of me. "Oh my god, what kind of mindless idiot would do such a thing to another human being?" I was not even mad. I was flabbergasted. Then a thought hit me, "I have five more months to walk these sidewalks before the semester ends."

"What have I gotten myself into?"
"I have a good job"
"An English degree probably won't help my current career very much"
"Why put myself through writing all the bullshit papers and fighting traffic and tolerating imbeciles that shout out gems in class like: Ah di ent like "The Wastelands" dat sho am sum crazy shit!"

With each step my rain drenched socks made my shoes slurp and suck. By the time I got back to my car a frown had settled in comfortably into my face. "Who was I to think that I could be special" "I am a duck trying to be a swan" I hopped into my car and pulled out onto Piedmont. The road was glistening from the rain and streetlights. Brooks Benton said it right, "Sometimes it feels like it's raining all over the world."

No comments: